- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
Melt together the 1 lb butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the 6 eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and 2 c. sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.
Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until mixture is fluffy. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beating until light. Beat in the 2 egg and the 1 tablespoon flour just until combined.
Spoon cream cheese mixture in mounds on top of chocolate batter. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate batter to marble. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares