Peppermint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream


This is one of my favorite ice cream flavors. Let's be honest, I sort of have a lot of favorite ice cream flavors. Pretty much every kind I make becomes my new favorite. But this was the first one I ever made. So it is close to my heart. And, cookies and cream really is my absolute favorite flavor. So the addition of the peppermint makes this an extra special Christmas treat. I made this for Christmas a few years ago and we all loved it. Ya, it was a bit chilly outside to be enjoying ice cream, but shoot, we live in sunny so cal. So we can enjoy ice cream on Christmas Day.
Peppermint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Serves 6-8
Ingredients

2 cups half and half
1 cup whole milk
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 crushed Trader Joe's Peppermint O's


Directions

Heat half and half or milk until very hot (not boiling), stirring often.

Mix egg yolks and sugar until well blended and slightly thickened, very gradually blend in hot half and half.

Add mixture to a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until steamy and bubbles form around edge, stirring constantly. Do not boil.

Once hot, pour into a large bowl and stir in whipping cream, vanilla, peppermint and salt.
Cover and chill thoroughly. It will take about an hour or 2.

Add to ice cream maker per your manufacturer's instructions, stir in crushed O's during last stage of freezing.

Immediately serve in ice cream bowls. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.

*You can leave out the peppermint and use regular oreos when the peppermint oreos are not available. I like to stock up around Christmas so that I can make this all year round.